IU workplace wellness gets five-star rating
September 28, 2016
IU has once again been recognized as a leader in workplace wellness. On Sept. 22, the Wellness Council of Indiana, a subsidiary of the Indiana Chamber of Commerce, named IU as a Five Star level AchieveWELL Award recipient. It’s the highest level of recognition the council gives.
The Five Star level of AchieveWELL recognizes elite organizations in Indiana that have made employee well-being a priority. To receive the award, IU had to demonstrate that its workplace wellness program was proficient in areas such as leadership engagement, outcomes measurement, data-driven decision-making, communication and alignment with the overarching IU mission.
Highlights of Indiana University programming that contributed to the Five Star level include:
- Universitywide activity-based challenges such as Healthy IU’s “Feel Great IU!” and “Climb IU”
- Free, annual health screenings with incentives.
- Environmental changes such as refillable water stations, walking paths, healthy vending machines and elevator signage.
- Healthy IU programs and services, such as Mindful Way to Stress Reduction and Diabetes Prevention Program.
- IU MoneySmarts financial wellness programs.
- Universitywide Employee Assistance Program, Weight Talk and Tobacco Cessation programs offered through Human Resources.
- IU Environmental Health and Safety (including the ergonomics program).
Patty Hollingsworth, director of Healthy IU, IU’s workplace wellness program, said, “It’s been a team effort; that’s how we’ve been able to move so far so fast. This initiative belongs to all.”
Contributions from IU’s schools of public health, physical education and tourism management, nursing, and medicine; health centers; and staff and faculty from across all campuses have played a major role in the success of wellness at IU.
By working with IU’s depth of resources, workplace wellness programming is based in best practices, and decisions for program offerings are based on the universitywide Fairbanks School of Public Health Workplace Wellness Survey data of what employees want and need.
The Five Star-level AchieveWELL recognition comes on the heels of IU’s recent American Heart Association Fit-Friendly Workplace recognition, as well as three years (2012, 2014 and 2015) of recognition as one of Indiana’s top-100 healthiest employers.