Indy Eleven and IUPUI partnership
March 24, 2015
In 2013, IUPUI’s Michael A. Carroll Stadium was selected out of five venues under consideration to be the new home for one of the nation’s newest North American League soccer teams -- the Indy Eleven. Its central location, high quality soccer field and ease of access and parking were important elements recognized by team ownership that solidified the selection of Carroll Stadium for the team’s inaugural season in 2014.
Our partnership with Indy Eleven was a deliberate strategy to build greater visibility for IUPUI, to deepen collaborations and to further enhance our connection with the city of Indianapolis. Last year, each home soccer game attracted more than 10,000 visitors to IUPUI who discovered our dynamic campus bustling with people and activities.
It is anticipated that the benefits gained through our partnership will continue throughout the duration of our contract with Indy Eleven. But it is also clear that parking, which was a critical and necessary component of our partnership, has created some frustration among permit holders as it presented some logistical challenges. Please know we appreciate your patience and understanding as we work together to help things run as smoothly as possible.
In preparation for Indy Eleven’s second season at Carroll Stadium, with its first home game scheduled for Saturday, April 11, we compiled a comprehensive list of frequently asked questions to help you better understand our partnership and answer any parking questions you may have.
Frequently asked questions about the Indy Eleven and IUPUI partnership
How does IUPUI benefit from the partnership with Indy Eleven?
IUPUI realizes many benefits from its partnership with Indy Eleven including:
- Infrastructure improvements: The agreement with Indy Eleven has helped support much needed infrastructure improvements and the revitalization of Carroll Stadium, which the IUPUI Jaguars soccer and cross-country teams call home.
- Increased visibility: The agreement with Indy Eleven resulted in nearly 60,000 unique visits by individuals attending games over the course of the inaugural season, which means increased awareness, visibility and exposure of IUPUI.
- Student-athlete recruitment: Given the global popularity of soccer, Indy Eleven’s partnership will help strengthen IUPUI’s national and international recognition and can serve as a recruiting tool for IUPUI Athletics.
- Enhanced community engagement: Engagement is at the core of IUPUI’s strategic plan, Our Commitment to Indiana and Beyond. IUPUI’s goal to deepen our commitment to community engagement aims explicitly to create a national model for campus-community reciprocity to advance regional economic development and address urban needs.
How long will the IUPUI/Indy Eleven partnership last?
IUPUI and Indy Eleven entered into a two-year contract, which began April 4, 2014, with the option to extend the contract for a third year.
Which lots have been designated for Indy Eleven parking? Where can I park if I normally park in one of the designated areas?
IUPUI lots 63, 59, 58 and 80, which are A, B, C and D, respectively, below, have been designated as Indy Eleven parking. So, for Indy Eleven home games, IUPUI permit holders (EM, ST, NC, PP and CH) are encouraged to park in the Barnhill or Vermont Street garages. CH permit holders may also park in lots 53, 54, 60 and 62. View the IUPUI parking map for details.
How many home games are planned for Indy Eleven's 2015 spring and fall soccer seasons?
There are a total of 15 games -- five games in the spring and 10 games in the fall. All games will be played on a Saturday with the exception of one, which will be played on Wednesday, Aug. 19. All games start at 7:30 p.m. Go to the Indy Eleven website for schedule.
If the lots open to Indy Eleven game attendees three hours before the game, why can't IUPUI permit holders park in the designated lots up until that time?
Due to the number of cars on campus, IUPUI must close the designated Indy Eleven parking lots by 7 p.m. the preceding day to ensure the lots remain empty for game day parking.
- For all Saturday games - IUPUI will close the lots at 7 p.m. on the preceding Friday.
- For the Indy Eleven game scheduled 7:30 p.m. Wednesday, Aug. 19, IUPUI will close the lots at 7 p.m. Tuesday, Aug. 18.
How will I be notified about the lot closures for Indy Eleven games?
Notifications will be sent to all IUPUI parking permit holders via email. Information will also posted at parking.iupui.edu and on JagTV as well as included in future editions of Inside IUPUI and JagNews. And finally, be sure to also follow @IUPUIpark and @IUPUI on Twitter for Indy Eleven parking updates.