Celebrating women’s accomplishments
April 7, 2015
It’s a tremendous source of pride and gratification knowing that IUPUI celebrates Women’s History Month as one of its cultural heritage months, seizing the opportunity to put the spotlight on our own achievers!
The Women’s Leadership Reception began in 1998 and has evolved into a compelling and meaningful recognition of leadership.
This year’s national theme was "Weaving the Stories of Women's Lives.” Keynote speaker Kristina (Kristy) Sheeler, IUPUI associate professor and chair of the Department of Communication Studies, addressed the topic of “Women and the Presidency,” a timely issue as the 2016 presidential race is unofficially underway.
The highlight of the celebration was presentation of awards to women faculty and staff who lead through stellar action, initiative, guidance, achievement, generosity, commitment and service, contributing to successful students and the esteem of the campus, along with exemplary IUPUI students cited for their outstanding service and achievements.
Award winners included:
- “Newcomer” Staff Awards: Cynthia Felsten, assistant director of development and alumni relations at IUPUC; and Tara Hobson-Prater, director of the Indiana BioMedical Gateway program at IU School of Medicine.
- “Veteran” Staff Awards: Tralicia Lewis, assistant vice chancellor for student affairs, IUPUI.
- Staff Inspirational Woman Award was presented to Pamela Blevins Hinkle, director of The Spirit and Place Festival at The Polis Center.
- Outstanding Woman Leader Awards for “Newcomer” Faculty: Cherri Hobgood, chair and Rolly McGrath Professor atIU School of Medicine; and Genevieve G. Shaker, assistant professor of philanthropic studies at IU Lilly Family School of Philanthropy and IUPUI associate dean for development and external affairs.
- Outstanding Woman Leader Awards for “Veteran” Faculty: Mary Guerriero Austrom, associate dean of diversity affairs and Wesley P. Martin Professor of Alzheimer Disease Education at IU School of Medicine; Teresita M. Bellido, professor of anatomy and cell biology and professor of medicine at IU School of Medicine; Bonnie Blazer-Yost, professor of biology at School of Science at IUPUI; Gina Sanchez Gibau, associate dean for student affairs at IU School of Liberal Arts and associate professor in the Department of Anthropology; and Theresa Rohr-Kirchgraber, executive director of the National Center of Excellence in Women’s Health and associate clinical professor of medicine and pediatrics at IU School of Medicine.
- Faculty “Inspirational Woman” Awards: Angela Tomlin, director of the Riley Child Development Center and associate professor of clinical pediatrics at IU School of Medicine; and Sheila Kennedy, professor of law and public policy and director of the Center for Civic Literacy.
These worthy recipients have good reason to be proud and the entire IUPUI family reason to be proud of them. I salute them all!