Graduate student awards
April 28, 2015
For years, top IUPUI undergraduates have been recognized with the Top 100 Award recognizing scholarship, research and engagement - students who excel academically while expanding their college experience well beyond the classroom.
Until this year, there was no comparable graduate or professional student recognition. Now with the leadership of McKinney Law student Anthony Greco, president of the Graduate and Professional Student Government, and his colleagues, there is the Elite 50 Awards Dinner. At the dinner I was asked to offer keynote remarks and was able to enjoy learning about these amazing 50 students.
I am particularly honored that the sponsoring Graduate and Professional Student Government named the top graduate student citation the Dr. Charles R. Bantz Award for Excellence. I am also pleased that the first recipient selected is Janice Farlow. Janice is receiving her PhD in May, is an MD student in the School of Medicine, and is also completing a two-year term on the Indiana University Board of Trustees! Janice is not only a terrific student, but also deeply engaged in the student-led Outreach Clinic as well as the Board of Trustees.
IUPUI 2015 Elite 50 (in alphabetical order)
*Premier 10 Finalists
School-Based Awards for the highest score of all Elite 50 applicants within their school:
- IUPUI Graduate School - Silvia Canelon
- Indiana University School of Informatics and Computing - Debaleena Chattopadhyay
- Indiana University School of Health & Rehabilitation Sciences - Trent Crandall
- Indiana University Herron School of Art - Kaelyn Donnelly
- Indiana University School of Medicine - Janice Farlow
- Indiana University Lilly Family School of Philanthropy - Wyatt Jackson
- Indiana University School of Education - Tiffany Kyser
- Indiana University School of Social Work - Kyle McGregor
- Indiana University Robert H. McKinney School of Law - Matthew Miller
- Indiana University School of Dentistry - Lauren Mummert
- Indiana University School of Public and Environmental Affairs - Samuel Newlin-Haus
- Richard M. Fairbanks School of Public Health- Connor Norwood
- Indiana University School of Liberal Arts - Angela Potter
- Indiana University School of Nursing - Esther Smith-Howell
- Purdue University School of Science - Austin Stanforth
- Purdue University School of Engineering and Technology - Vinay Suryadevara
- Indiana University Kelley School of Business - Suitao Yang
Charles R. Bantz Award for Excellence:
- Janice Farlow
Speaking of elite graduate and professional initiatives, Purdue School of Engineering and Technology faculty member Andres Tovar and his graduate students recently won the $60,000 grand prize in a national competition to design a safe ultra-light vehicle.
They were selected from among more than 250 conceptual designs submitted in the LITECAR Challenge: Light-weighting Technologies Enabling Comprehensive Automotive Redesign. Their design was selected by a panel of experts based on materials, crashworthiness, structure, manufacturing and safety.
This outstanding accomplishment reflects the ongoing high-level creativity and innovation with global impact emanating from this premier urban research campus. Congratulations to all involved in this great project!