Discover some lesser-known parts of IUPUI's campus
November 1, 2016
There's more to the IUPUI campus than the Campus Center! Here are a few buildings that house daily operations of IUPUI but aren't on the traditional campus. Watch out, downtown Indianapolis!
1. Walker Plaza at IUPUI is located at 719 Indiana Ave. You'll find IUPUI Counseling & Psychological Services (CAPS) here, along with offices in the School of Dentistry and School of Informatics.
2. Park 100 Learning Center, on the northwest side of the city, provides a convenient location for IUPUI credit classes and continuing-education classes. Facilities include seven student-centered classrooms, a 20-workstation computer lab for classes, a student study area and three computers for student use.
3. The Polis Center is a self-funded unit of the IU School of Liberal Arts at IUPUI located just off campus at 1200 Waterway Blvd. The center finds practical, effective and cost-efficient ways for communities to enhance their capacity for meaningful change. It also develops the nation’s largest community information system, SAVI, as an interactive data and mapping resource for individuals and organizations in Central Indiana.
4. Located at 1410 Indiana Ave., the Sidney and Lois Eskenazi Fine Arts Center is another example of the philanthropic generosity of the Eskenazis.
5. Athletics shares a space with Military Science and University Purchasing at 1000 Waterway Blvd.
6. The IUPUI Campus Services Building 4 is located at 1830 W. 16th St.
7. The HITS (Health Information and Translational Sciences) building at 410 W. 10th St. is the home of the Clinical and Translational Sciences Institute (CTSI). The building can also be seen from the northern end of the canal.
8. The Emelie Building, at 334/340 N. Senate Ave., has seen many occupants over the years since it was built in 1902. The original owner, Fred Schmid, named the building after his wife, Emelie. It has been home to the Kurt Vonnegut Library and also serves as the home of the IU Public Policy Institute.
9. IU Communications is located at 340 W. Michigan St. The historic building, previously the Advancement Center, overlooks the canal.
PHOTOS BY CAROLINE RALSTON AND VANESSA RICHARDS, IU COMMUNICATIONS