Winning captions from the Special Collections and Archives Caption Contest
January 17, 2017
For the past five years, staff members at the Ruth Lilly Special Collections and Archives have been running a monthly caption contest. They take an interesting photo from the archives and present it, with context, and allow readers to add their own take on it. Here are some of the winners from past contests. Keep reading; we'll offer more in the future!
1. UA24-001368. Television actor Richard Simmons (Sergeant Preston of the Yukon) visited Riley Hospital in May 1959.
Caption winner: Karen Proctor: "Psst. Fake a yawn, Gilbert, or he’ll never leave."
2. UA24-009170. Men lined up when the Screw Mobile was on campus in 1971.
Caption winner: Eric Applegate: "Helping nerds become men since 1971."
3. UA24-006891. A man checks out equipment in a laboratory in the Indiana University School of Medicine. (no date)
Caption winner: Meagan Lacy: "I didn’t inhale."
4. UA24-001372. The Lone Ranger and Tonto visited Riley Hospital for Children in 1953.
Caption winner: Jeff Vessely: "This IS a big deal, Tonto. Sammy Terry and Wilbur Snyder were here yesterday."
5. UA24-007456. Faculty member Dr. Kline Falden stands behind the camera during the filming of School of Dentistry instructional videotapes in 1975.
Caption winner: Robert Bullock: "Trust me, I'm a doctor. Radiation is good for you!"6. UA24-005030. An IUPUI student wears a gorilla mask. (no date)
Caption winner: Rob Bullock: "Clearly Dian Fossey's first date was a precursor of things to come."
7. UA24-006883. Dean Maynard Hine, on bulldozer, and IU president Herman B Wells participated in the groundbreaking ceremony for an addition to the School of Dentistry Building in 1958.
Caption winner: Robert Aull: "Put your back into it, Hermie -- president or not, you can't push start a dozer with one hand."8. UA24-000995n. Staff members from the School of Medicine's Department of Microbiology examine a bat. (no date)
Caption winner: Andy Smith: "Frank and Oscar quickly agreed that once deep fried, their beer-battered bats would sell well at next year's Indiana State Fair. Now, where to place the stick?"
9. UA24-007946. Maria Pag, left, encourages Department of Restaurant, Hotel, and Institutional Management chair Ray Dault to sample some pancake batter while Susan Feeney and Matthew Bray look on. (no date)
Caption winner: Susan Stanley: "The experimental process for immortalizing Ray's poetic silver tongue in a plaster cast did not end well."
10. UA24-006848. A group of Herron School of Art students gathered to make a little music in 1941.
Caption winner: Bill Orme: "The third verse of 'Ain't Gonna Study War No More' was suddenly interrupted by this bulletin from the White House..."