University Hall ready for launch
June 2, 2015
University Hall is about to make its debut in the heart of the IUPUI campus.
The $22.9 million five-story building, at the corner of University Boulevard and New York Street, will be the new home of the IUPUI administration, replacing the Administration Building on Lansing Street. That facility is scheduled for demolition this year.
University Hall also will be home for schools new and historic. It will house the Lilly Family School of Philanthropy, the first school of its kind in the world, and a significant portion of the School of Social Work, the oldest program of its kind in the United States.
Chancellor Charles R. Bantz hailed the new building and its central location in his Feb. 18, 2014, “From the Desk of the Chancellor” message. “The new site will move me and my colleagues near the center of the campus and the thousands of students, faculty and staff working within a 10-minute walk,” he wrote.
Construction of University Hall, which covers approximately 100,000 square feet, took 14 months to complete, according to John Lewis, associate vice president of capital planning and facilities in the University Architect’s office. That space includes IUPUI’s administrative offices but also incorporates room for academic purposes, including two general inventory classrooms in addition to the administrative offices of philanthropy and social work.
Lewis said University Hall occupants will begin to move into the building this week, and the phased move-in will continue until July 9 when the new president’s office is occupied.
Tenants for University Hall include:
- Office of Alumni Relations (first floor)
- IU Foundation (first floor)
- School of Social Work (second floor)
- Lilly Family School of Philanthropy (third floor)
- Vice Chancellor for Finance and Administration (fourth floor)
- Vice Chancellor for Student Affairs (fourth floor)
- Vice Chancellor for Office of Community Engagement (fourth floor)
- Vice Chancellor for Diversity, Equity and Inclusion (fourth floor)
- Division of Undergraduate Education (fourth floor)
- Office of Planning and Institutional Improvement (fourth floor)
- Office of the Executive Vice Chancellor (fifth floor)
- Office of Academic Affairs (fifth floor)
- Office of the Vice President and General Counsel (fifth floor)
- Office of the Chancellor (fifth floor)
- Office of the President (fifth floor)
University Hall was built to meet Silver LEED standards and is awaiting verification of that process.